Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: The Spelunky First Level Cash Challenge  (Read 31524 times)
danieltalsky
Bulb

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2010, 06:06:21 PM »

I've noticed that it's pretty easy in the first level to crack 10k cash in the first level if you're trying, and I'm pretty sure once I got 18,900 (including the idol).

It seems like you could easily crack 20k if you were willing to use up all your bombs and got lucky, and the first level is ideal because you have infinite time to strategize.  If you managed to get specs and bombs from a store on the first level maybe that could be an even better haul.

So, I propose a competition (for honor only) for whoever can get the highest score by the 1st to 2nd level transition screen and get a screenshot.  No additional credit for a damsel, this is cash only.

MONTHS LATER: This competition was successful beyond my wildest expectations.  I was sure someone would crack 20k, but had NO idea people would eventually crack 60k.  Thanks to everyone for taking this fun challenge so seriously, and a huge thank you to arucard who made 6 amazing custom trophies for the winners.

TROPHY CASE / LEADERBOARD

Ok, for those who don't want to read the whole thread, the current winner is orange08 with the the unbelievable score of 61,900.  

Since we want normal people to have a crack at the challenge, we decided to have two leaderboards, Legendary for over 40k, and Mortal for over 30k.

So, I present you the leaderboard:

LEGENDARY! (Over 40k)

1. orange08 - 61,900

2. DialFforFunky - 53,000

3. pp128 - 50,800

MORTAL! (Over 30k)

1. cjfoster takes home "The Gold Homey" for 38,900:

2. pp128  snags "The Silver Damsel" with 35,500

3. And damsel, who I'd love to see with the silver damsel, gets "The Bronze Dude" with a still damn impressive (seriously, try it yourself) 34,900

« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 12:35:00 PM by danieltalsky » Logged
grieck
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 06:30:33 PM »

Are mods allowed?
danieltalsky
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 06:34:21 PM »

Nah, I think it's best just to keep this to absolutely vanilla plain jane spelunky.  That way the playing field is level.  Otherwise you could make a "cash mod" and this is about luck and ingenuity in the first basic spelunky level and not modding ability.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 06:35:56 PM by danieltalsky » Logged
danieltalsky
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 06:34:36 PM »

Ok, here we go... this is a good starting score.  Beat that.
grieck
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 06:56:39 PM »

Just barely, and that was my second attempt.

http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/6816/screenshot210.png

danieltalsky
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 08:35:19 PM »

grieck
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 08:47:23 PM »

Damn...
danieltalsky
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 09:06:20 PM »

I was stoked.  I thought it
might take a idol + snake pit level, but it was just a rich level and some good bomb luck.  I still think that can be beaten, I probably could have squeezed out a little more but I wanted to make sure I didn't get stuck or die.  I already died once in a level where I was on pace to crack your first score.
grieck
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 09:16:06 PM »

And as for the mod thing, I tested to see (the best to use would've been Spelunky Bomber for obvious reasons)...

93,700 from level one! But now back to earning a normal score.
danieltalsky
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 12:31:21 PM »

Just wanted to mention that on my 27,700 starting game, I played on to win all the way through the game for only my 2nd time, and opened my first secret room (money) door, so it was quite a good run.  Too bad this thread didn't catch on... I have a feeling my score can be beat.  Maybe someone else will see this and take a few cracks at it.  I think it's a pretty fun challenge.

Hey, BTW, you mean the lunatic mod?  What other mods are fun?
halibabica
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 01:14:02 PM »

That one with the ManTrap in it's pretty neat.  What was it called again?  No way we have a thread for these things or anything.

I've been meaning to try this, but I've been focused on other shtuff.  Tongue
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 01:16:49 PM by halibabica » Logged

Sometimes I wonder if I like Spelunky too much.
ManTrap mod - Tastes Like Spelunky
Hand-drawn comic - Spelunkying
grieck
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 06:03:05 PM »

Hey, BTW, you mean the lunatic mod?  What other mods are fun?

Nope, it's called Spelunky Bomber. And Hali (creator of the epic 'Taste Like Spelunky') gave a link to the important stuff.
danieltalsky
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 08:25:18 PM »

Hey thanks for the comprehensive mod list.  I'd also love a link to a list of levels that are actually downloadable and fun.  The wikia link sucks and so many of the levels are just a crappy gimmick and too effing hard.
halibabica
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 08:45:32 PM »

The level sharing forum is chock full of levels!  Unfortunately, finding 'the good ones' is your job.  We don't have a list of decent levels, but you can usually tell by the responses they received whether they're any good or not.  I hope my levels aren't too gimmicky and difficult... Cry

Sometimes I wonder if I like Spelunky too much.
ManTrap mod - Tastes Like Spelunky
Hand-drawn comic - Spelunkying
Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 12:15:00 AM »

The level sharing forum is chock full of levels!  Unfortunately, finding 'the good ones' is your job.  We don't have a list of decent levels, but you can usually tell by the responses they received whether they're any good or not.  I hope my levels aren't too gimmicky and difficult... Cry
I think it was Eguee who also made a level which connects to all the other user-made levels. Comes in different sizes too (or difficulties), though you would still have to download all of them to play though, it's just an easy way to play and compare them.

Oh, they look like monsters to you?

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: