Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  
Author Topic: The Spelunky First Level Cash Challenge  (Read 32349 times)
Damsel
Mosskid

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2010, 01:47:55 PM »

YAY. Can you use characters other then the spelunker? I didn't. (I don't have any other characters Grin)

Spambots sure like medicine.
"Claritin Secret Friends"
"Motrin To Puppies"
danieltalsky
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2010, 01:50:31 PM »

Nope, no mods, no other characters.  You should be able to just slap in a fresh 1.1 install, go into the first level, and have the same chance to beat the challenge as anyone else.  I think tunnel man specifically would be kind of a spoiler.
pp128
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2010, 02:00:11 PM »

Good score Damsel Wink
I think that is better to have just one record for each person. Because I've other scores (32,800 or 32,000) but it's not funny. I find it's better to keep the best score for everyone.
danieltalsky
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2010, 02:02:32 PM »

Nah, I think I'm not going to use duplicate scores, but you have the top two mortal scores... if someone wants to get on the leaderboard they have to get a score in the top three.  Both your #1 and #2 scores take up a slot.  That's basically the way a leaderboard works.
halibabica
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2010, 07:57:06 AM »

Okay, I know mods don't count, but I was curious and thought I'd share this anyway.

Using the Custom Start Chamber from my mod to get an unbreakable mattock I can swing while jumping and a pair of meat-vision goggles to reveal all buried treasures, I collected all but one unreachable pile of gold chicken nuggets and got this score.

The sad part is, it still barely beat eguee's. Angry Angry Angry

Then again, I didn't get an idol or a snake pit, and there were only two rubies saucy meatballs.  But whatever!  Continue your competition, folkies, and know that 50k is roughly the limit.

Sometimes I wonder if I like Spelunky too much.
ManTrap mod - Tastes Like Spelunky
Hand-drawn comic - Spelunkying
Damsel
Mosskid

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2010, 09:08:12 AM »

ha ha!  Grin

Spambots sure like medicine.
"Claritin Secret Friends"
"Motrin To Puppies"
danieltalsky
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2010, 12:12:12 PM »

Congrats... leaderboard updated.
DialFforFunky
Bean

Revenge of the Burning Yeti

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2010, 09:26:06 AM »

buh.

F

pp128
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2010, 11:03:48 AM »

Wat.
danieltalsky
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2010, 12:29:17 PM »

Wow... hey DialFforFunky... can you confirm for us that this is a legit 1st level challenge and tell us the circumstances?  Looks like no idol... was there a snake pit?  Mattock?  Any special circumstances?  That is one hell of a 1st level score!
DialFforFunky
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2010, 01:31:53 PM »

I must apolgise for my first post on these boards. It seemed like a funny way to raise a certain issue, but reconsidering it, is seems a bit in bad taste.

The issue: cheating. There is no way to check wheter or not Tunnelman is involved. This shot is a fake, and quite badly so. It was made with Tunnelman. But there is no way to check.
Stupid thing is, there is no way to get Spelunky on the shot if you've scored enough points. Which I only found out after I made my post. Hence my post was a bit in bad taste. Once again, my apologies.

I didn't intend to accuse anyone of cheating by the way. I think the current highscores are an actual possibility. I just thought the issue was quite problematic.

But, on a more constructive note: there is actually a way to verify the score. The Damsel. Playing the Damsel is identical to playing Spelunky, but you'll rescue Spelunkies instead of Damsels, thus differentiating yourself from the Tunnelman. Not always available, but 100% safe. I'm trying to reach the top of the charts with miss Damsel as we speak  Wink

F

edit:

Holy Crap!

guess it is possible after all...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 03:47:14 PM by DialFforFunky » Logged

danieltalsky
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2010, 05:07:19 AM »

Nah, you make a good point, don't apologize.

But allow me to say this: The Spelunky First Level Cash challenge is for honor only.  Frankly, the 40+k scores floor me!  No one else has done this, but I have to believe it's a legit score, cause if you submit a fake-ass score for ANY reason and don't fess up to it, then it's just sad, because it's for HONOR ONLY.

You can't cheat for real honor as far as I know.

Anyway, it's easy enough to photoshop a winning score.  I'm sure if someone wanted to fake it, they could do it more convincingly that just playing with tunnel man.

Is that damsel 53,000 score real though?  You kinda strained your credibility with the initial hoax...
DialFforFunky
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2010, 05:57:23 AM »

Truth and the internet can be hard to combine. But the points on honour you make are certainly true.

As for the pictures: I hope I haven't put myself beyond credibility, but yes, these are real. I got lucky with two bomb-crates, an idol, a spelunky and a mattock that went for 20 to 30 crunches. There was a good amount of gold near surfaces as well, which certainly did help. Falling down the pit twice did not, however. ah welll.
I even finished the game after this level. Had a rough time the 2nd level, went down to 1 health, then rescued a spelunky and found some bombs in the jungle, found the black market and spent my 100000 gold on just about all I could find. Cape, climbing gloves, pistol and a lot of bombs, and it was smooth sailing from then on. Egypt level one lacked a mummy, so no golden city for me though.

I'm really fond of this game. I've finished it about 60 or 70 times now. I found this new challence a great way to try out something new. The only things I've got left to try now are mods and the reset button, both of which I'm really curious about, but neither of which I'm really willing to try in fear of wiping my score.

F

danieltalsky
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2010, 12:21:46 PM »

Well, I'm glad I helped provide you a little challenge.  I'll accept this score, and it looks like someone should call Eugee and tell him his score's been shattered.  I wouldn't have thought it was possible for someone to crack 50k, but daaaamn, there it is.  I'm still keeping the Legendary and Mortal leaderboards as-is.
hyperme
Mosskid

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2010, 01:27:22 PM »

The only things I've got left to try now are mods and the reset button, both of which I'm really curious about, but neither of which I'm really willing to try in fear of wiping my score.
Mods can't wipe you score. Some hold theirs seperately from normal Spelunky however, such as the highly recommed Tastes Like Spelunky.
I also recommend Editor Plus.  Mainly because you need to play most of the custom levels.  And a little bit because I made it. Wink
Also, on topic, that's lots of winning.  Hooray for success.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  

Jump to: