Poll
Question: What's your favorite change to Spelunky since the first release?
Tunnel Man as a playable character - 0 (0%)
Altars/the Kapala - 13 (65%)
The Dice House - 2 (10%)
Enhancements to the level editor - 1 (5%)
The box of flares - 1 (5%)
Vampires - 0 (0%)
Bomb arrows - 2 (10%)
Tweaked physics - 1 (5%)
Decreased shop prices - 0 (0%)
Spikes are more dangerous - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 18

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: You've come a long way, baby.  (Read 3235 times)
MagFlare
Bulb

View Profile Email
« on: May 04, 2010, 11:11:33 AM »

Spelunky's had quite a few fundamental gameplay changes since its first inception. Which change do you think most improved the game? (Note that I'm just talking about vanilla Spelunky here, rather than any of the community-made mods.)

If I missed anything significant, let me know and I'll add it.

halibabica
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 11:13:40 AM »

Kali Altars, hands-down.  That was a really unique addition that I wasn't too sure about at first, but it definitely brings some high-risk high-reward stuff to the game.

Sometimes I wonder if I like Spelunky too much.
ManTrap mod - Tastes Like Spelunky
Hand-drawn comic - Spelunkying
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 11:14:17 AM »

oh I know! I know! the 2nd area.

what? It wasn't in there in the first version he didn't give out to anyone.

I really wish I could try the really old versons.

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
MagFlare
Bulb

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 11:32:37 AM »

Whoops. I completely forgot about one of the earlier and most important changes -- the lowering of all shop prices, which actually made purchasing stuff a viable option.

Apart from that one, though, I've got to agree that the altars were one of the best additions. It introduced a bunch of new playstyles -- the Kapala and the ball and chain are fun new items that drastically change the way you approach the game, and the little "can I get to the altar before this mantrap/yeti/cultist wakes up in my hands?" metagame is a thrill -- and it's a satisfying way to obtain items.
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 11:47:30 AM »

Whoops. I completely forgot about one of the earlier and most important changes -- the lowering of all shop prices, which actually made purchasing stuff a viable option.

Apart from that one, though, I've got to agree that the altars were one of the best additions. It introduced a bunch of new playstyles -- the Kapala and the ball and chain are fun new items that drastically change the way you approach the game, and the little "can I get to the altar before this mantrap/yeti/cultist wakes up in my hands?" metagame is a thrill -- and it's a satisfying way to obtain items.
Yeah that was a BIG thing. a lot bigger then most people know.

didn't it cost a million+ for a shotgun I heard such rummors.

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: