Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Super Spelunky World (Playable build)  (Read 13709 times)
Delver
Bean

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 05:32:09 AM »

Thanks for the input. Quit a few of them could end up in the mod (If I can make them work Wink) I hadn't even thought of Credits, the idea is pure gold, thanks!

I will try and make a more Super Mario World type overworld. See how it compare to the current free roaming version.   
Sparkle
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 02:10:21 PM »

by save file, i meant like the file with yes, the saves, as well as totals like kills etc. and if you make the world, you should make a room where this is visible in-game, like killls on what, what caused your death, idols collected, all that stuff. :3
- and yeah, i know it may be abused, but spelunky casual and invincible are too, so it's really the same thing, about the honor system.

also, yeah, i forgot to mention i believe the over-world shops would be like x8 times the cost. and i don't think you should be able to steal from it, so try to code that the shoppy can't kill you, and you can't steal the items :3

also for the map, i think there shouldn't be a title screen much. some suggestions for the map:
-the whole map fits and you can move from place to place the minutes you get down there, and spelunky and derek yu would be at the top, in the opposite corner of where you reach.
-the map should start at the top, and have pixelated pictures of like the different zones depending on where the area is. (like normal would have a rocky backround that transitions into a foresty backround when you progress and so on.

another suggestion: maybe only have a custom level for the LAST in the area set, because if it's all customs, it'll really lose the feel of spelunky, so if you're going to have your customs, you'll have to set it to be the last (and harder than any randomization can make)of that area fr it to still feel like spelunky.

ALSO< i never reallllllllllllllllly played TLS but, i heard there's item combos. if you used the WASD (or whatever it is for limiting items) you should allow item combos.
-on that note, you should be able to store all items you get back in the map in some fort or something and you will be able to access this at any point when on the map.

I'm sure i'll think of some more stuff eventually. but that's really all i can think of for now.

Patrick
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 06:30:07 PM »

also, yeah, i forgot to mention i believe the over-world shops would be like x8 times the cost. and i don't think you should be able to steal from it, so try to code that the shoppy can't kill you, and you can't steal the items :3
I was thinking more like a menu-shop. It doesn't have the really good items, only bombs, ropes & parachutes (or something), and is very expensive, but when you're underground, you don't have to pay tax (thus cheaper prices) and you can buy illegal stuff like jetpacks  Grin
on that note, you should be able to store all items you get back in the map in some fort or something and you will be able to access this at any point when on the map.
Well, yeah, that could be nice. My idea was that you gain items (gloves, shoes, whatever) in gameplay, and that item stays with you on whichever level you play next, whether you replay an old level, or shortcut to another world, or whatever you do. You lose your items and revert back to 4-4-4 Spelunker when you die.

I just had an idea regarding how to "unlock" new worlds: let's say the world map is a patch of desert, and on this patch is a highly expensive market, which sells bombs, ropes, rocks and other cheap stuff (and on rare occasions, slightly more useful stuff). There is also a tent marked "High Scores", inside which a Spelunker lives, and a very old, decommissioned elevator shaft, with a rope/vine dangling to the bottom. The shaft goes very deep, and appears to have four levels, each with an entrance to the Colossal Cave. Only the uppermost door is unlocked - the second, third and fourth are locked from the inside. So you go into Area 1, and there's a series of underground caves, which you traverse in world map style. Screw it, I'll make a diagram.

So you reach the end of Area 1, from which you can progress to Area 2. If you have a Key with you (or a special key, or if you pay the Tunnelman enough, or do some other thing) you can unlock the door to Area 2, saving a lot of time.

Oh and if you die, you have to restart the LEVEL, while if you game over, you restart the WORLD. Or the whole game. I don't know. And to go back, you have to play through certain levels again (maybe just the randomly-generated ones?)

So yeah. That's how I imagine an overworld map would work in Spelunky.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 06:32:30 PM by Patrick » Logged
Sparkle
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 07:16:04 PM »

:O well, i planned on it all really being underground witha path that you can only progress on when you beat each consecutive level, but to have like 9 levels like that would be awesome.
like level 5 would be a Custom stage, a harder than the average random one, and then 9 would be a fair bit harder than 5 Smiley
Patrick
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 07:34:31 PM »

:O well, i planned on it all really being underground witha path that you can only progress on when you beat each consecutive level, but to have like 9 levels like that would be awesome.
like level 5 would be a Custom stage, a harder than the average random one, and then 9 would be a fair bit harder than 5 Smiley
I didn't mean for it to be specifically 9, it's just an example.

Also, I forgot to mention...
Boss battles?  Grin
Sparkle
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 09:09:40 PM »

OHMYGAWD YES. I FORGOT. mini bosses. and each one shold have to correspond to their area. like Monkey King for the forest 8D
and yeah, i know, but 9 seemed to work relatively well.
Patrick
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 09:46:49 PM »

OHMYGAWD YES. I FORGOT. mini bosses. and each one shold have to correspond to their area. like Monkey King for the forest 8D
Monkey king?
Why not regular minibosses? Spider for Cave, Megamouth for Lush, Alien/Yeti King for Ice and Tomb Lord for Temple.
Delver
Bean

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 11:45:12 PM »

Another Prototype is up: http://www.mediafire.com/?iwwcvqbw3o71drp

Love the ideas, sadly none of them present in the current build. Sad

Really like your illustration Patrick it touches on the downward motion of the spelunky levels, and fits better then the classic bird view overworld map from Mario. Would really like to adopt a "A Journey to the Center of the Earth" feel to the final map.

The current version shows Spelunkys normal level progression. Except now you can revisit old locations, unlocking the black market and the golden city will unlock them on the world map. Finally a Spelunky mod with grinding Wink

Ideas are very welcome, and yes simple Boss battles will be implemented (some day ^^)       
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 07:36:09 AM by Delver » Logged
Patrick
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2011, 01:07:12 AM »

The current version shows Spelunkys normal level progression. Except now you can revisit old locations, unlocking the black market and the golden city will unlock them on the world map. Finally a Spelunky mod with grinding Wink
Yes. It would be great, however, if you could return to the overworld map when you die. It kind of sucks to restart the mod each time. Also, I'm losing my progress when I die - maybe, for next release, because of the nature of the mod, and since you haven't yet implemented a lives/game over/continues system, you could just let it "remember" which areas you've beaten and unlocked?

Also, God's gift to grinds. Just couldn't resist.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 01:09:21 AM by Patrick » Logged
Pteriforever
Mosskid

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2011, 04:28:47 PM »

This mod is awesome. I love the way that it doesn't limit your power.

A few weird things:

--If you get a damsel on level 4, 8, or 12, it isn't counted.

--Sometimes you get level feelings where they shouldn't be. Once I got a Rushing Water level in the Ice zone. The result: an endless giant alien spaceship with a large block taken out of it to put the exit in.

--The black market only works directly after you've entered the black market door.

Sparkle
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2011, 01:57:16 AM »

BUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUT those bosses aren't hard enough to be AREA bosses, they have to be in level because they're too simple to defeat :l
and yeah, i dunno, i have an idea for how the map shod probably look, but i cat describe it well, i suck at drawing,and i'm terrible at making images on the computer. oh wells.
i shall think of more constructiveness though :3
Patrick
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2011, 02:50:43 AM »

BUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUT those bosses aren't hard enough to be AREA bosses, they have to be in level because they're too simple to defeat :l
Sure, most minibosses can be killed easily with no items, but they might get more difficult depending on how they're placed. For example, what if there's a limitless supply of enemies jumping at you while you try to kill them?

Also, how often do you kill a Giant Spider with just your whip and shoes?
Pteriforever
Mosskid

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2011, 04:20:53 AM »

-- You can't select tunnel man from the main screen. Cry

--You don't go back to the map when you win the game.
Patrick
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2011, 04:32:26 AM »

-- You can't select tunnel man from the main screen. Cry

--You don't go back to the map when you win the game or die.
Sparkle
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2011, 06:11:37 PM »

a lot usually. i'm too lazy to waste a bomb on a spider! XD
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: