Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: List Of Rougelikes  (Read 12019 times)
liams
Bulb

View Profile Email
« on: April 24, 2010, 08:52:32 AM »

Hi all, im back. just post every single rougelike thats free that you know of and ill put it in a list, give a few comments of the game too if possible.
________________List Of Rougelikes___________________
ADOM
ADOM Wiki
AliensRL
Angband
Angband Wiki
Desktop Dungeons
Desktop Dungeons Wiki
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 02:18:09 AM by liams » Logged
Darkness3313
Mosskid

That reminds me of a puzzle...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 09:06:29 AM »

• Dwarf Fortress
  • Angband
  • Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup
  • Spelunky
liams
Bulb

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 09:18:41 AM »

Yep but please tell me what the ones i say i need to be told about are.
Darkness3313
Mosskid

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 09:42:36 AM »

Angband is a Dungeon Crawler similar to Nethack
Same a DC:SS Theres just some different Mechanics I'd rather not go into detail about.
q0099
Mosskid

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 10:22:55 AM »

Dungeon Climb - it's just another rogue-like game with ASCII graphics. Only in 3D space.
AliensRL - rogue-like game based on well-known movie.

Take the time to make some sense of what you want to say and cast your words away upon the waves.
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 10:36:28 AM »

Spelunky

what? Just saying.

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
Ultros
Bean

NetMonster_Maniac@hotmail.com UltrosCMC ultroscmc
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 04:20:15 PM »

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (an offshoot of an earlier roguelike named Linley's Dungeon Crawl) is almost completely hack-and-slash (moreso than NetHack), and is extremely well made.  There's a ton of variety in races and classes, and a great skill system where you improve in things by doing them and aren't restricted from doing anything due to your race/class (they just make some things easier/harder).  It also has a more detailed religion system than in NetHack and similar roguelikes; each god has their own personality and requires different things to gain favour with them, rather than just being divided into Good/Neutral/Evil.  Lastly, it's the most user-friendly roguelike I've ever played; there's even a tutorial.

Copying this from a post I made in Arucard's roguelike thread:

IVAN is a rather wacky roguelike with such features as being able to vomit on command, and having the gods replace severed limbs with new ones made of materials ranging from banana flesh to diamond.

LetterHunt is a cross between a roguelike and a word game; you play for score, and get points by killing monsters in order such that they spell words.

Shiren the Wanderer is the second game in Chunsoft's long-running Mystery Dungeon series of roguelikes; Chocobo Dungeon and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon are later titles.  This one doesn't have any licensed characters like most of the others.  It uses an interesting mechanic where, while the main game has permadeath, you can accomplish things that makes future plays easier (such as sending an item to the starting village's warehouse so you can use it in your next game).  The link is to a translation patch that can be used on a Japanese ROM of the original SNES game, though there's also an English version of a DS port that came out a couple years ago (haven't played that one, so can't say if it's better/worse).

Incursion is a roguelike where the focus is on making yourself more powerful by intelligently building your character, rather than finding awesome gear (though finding awesome gear certainly helps).  It's fairly complicated, even as roguelikes go, though less so if you're familiar with the d20 roleplaying system that it's based on.  It also has the most fun rogue class I've ever seen in a roguelike.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 01:29:58 PM by Ultros » Logged
Dudemaster
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 04:34:59 PM »

Two vital roguelikes...
  • ToME (Tales/Trouble of the Middle Ages) - How could you miss this one?? One of my favourites, although I can barely play it
  • LambdaRogue - An alternative kind of roguelike that tells a story (sort of)
Audioworm
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 07:09:24 PM »

DOUBLE POST ALERT!

Darkness3313
Mosskid

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 07:57:52 PM »

Spelunky

what? Just saying.

Read the topic. Its already on there.
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 08:00:51 PM »

Spelunky

what? Just saying.

Read the topic. Its already on there.
yeah I saw that NOW.

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
liams
Bulb

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 06:15:17 AM »

And everyone give me wiki links and main pages of the website every single time possible.
EDIT and please, guys im spoilt for choice. someone tell me which rl that i havent played before (all the ones i havnt listed i havnt played) should i play first and some beginner tips.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 06:23:17 AM by liams » Logged
q0099
Mosskid

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 09:08:51 AM »

Dungeon Climb - it's a story about some guy who fall into cave and have to find way out. The only problem is - the cave going upstairs, co he have to climb up almost all the time. Guy have to eat, to have enough energy for climbing, he have to jump over holes and from wall to wall.

AliensRL - main character is one of space marines, who was send to clear colony from xenomorphs. While landing his drop-ship crashed and he was only one who managed to survive. Now he must have to finish his mission all alone. The colony based in connected towers: civilian, medical, storage, security, military and main towers. They infested by different kinds of aliens and there is some weapons and ammunition left from assault.
Tips:
- try not be involved in close combat. You know who will win.
- first matter of surviving is weapons. Get them as much as possible, waste them wisely.
- you don't have to kill all aliens on your way. At least on the start.
- don't drop your guard, even if there is no aliens around. You could just not seen them.
- aliens is not mindless monsters like was pictured in AVP series. Some aliens doesn't care about you, until you disturb them.
- you can open and close the doors, aliens can't (most of them).
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 09:11:11 AM by q0099 » Logged

Take the time to make some sense of what you want to say and cast your words away upon the waves.
DungeonPheonix
Bean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 12:59:23 PM »

The only roguelike I play is Elona, which is a fairly fun timekiller since I have no idea what I'm doing and it's not death-happy all the time in spite of that. Some consider it too easy and the main quest is decidedly simplistic. Apparently active in development, with the next release being a big one, hence the delay.

Also, links:

ADOM
AliensRL
Angband
Desktop Dungeons; MediaWiki
Dungeon Climb
Dungeon Crawl
Dwarf Fortress; Magma Wiki
Elona; Wikia
Incursion
IVaN; Wikia
LambdaRogue