Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Roguelike Playlist  (Read 5349 times)
Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« on: April 07, 2010, 06:47:52 AM »

After finishing the series of Spelunky videos I did, I needed something else I could suffer to. The obvious answer is Roguelikes of course, so I'll start a series of Roguelike videos. This won't be a LP or playthrough mind you, but more of a way to show some games that a lot of people might not know about. I'm hoping to encourage those who are turned off by either the graphics, or complexity to want to try these types of games out. As well as bringing attention to those games that even people who play RLs might not know about.

So here's the list I'm planning on working with (in no particular order), if by some chance somebody knows of a good roguelike I should have on this list, then let me know.

• TileRogue
  • Privateer in Ascii Sector
  • Prospector
  • CastlevaniaRL
  • DoomRL
  • Lambda Rogue
  • Legerdemain
  • Ragnarok
  • Dungeon Crawl-Stone Soup
  • Trapdoor Below
  • Triangle Wizard
  • Wizard's Quest
  • Mage Guild
  • DrashRL
  • Other Observations
  • Crypts of Despair
  • Dungeons of Fayte
  • Lab 42-(thanks to Q0099)
  • Dragon Crystal (Sega Master System)
  • Fatal Labyrinth (Sega Genesis)
  • -Possibly-Azure Dreams (PSX)
  • -Possibly-Chocobo Dungeon (PSX)

In addition, if I really can't stop I'll add in a DF adventure mode romp. I'll need to play them more, but if interested I may also do:
Expedition- a game set in old-world Spain in which you stock a boat with supplies and crew and try to survive in the new world. It was made by Slashie, the guy who did CastlevaniaRL, so it's probably pretty good.
As well as Underbooks, which seemed unreasonably hard when I tried it.

Since there are so many NetHack videos, I probably won't do that, but since Liams just made me revisit the Vulture's Eye version of it, there's a chance I'll want to play around with it. I'm also very unlikely to cover ADoM (because I suck horribly at it), Elona (because it's basically ADoM with graphics), Angband (because I horribly suck at it and hate it with a passion), and Powder (see above reasons).

Oh, they look like monsters to you?

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
liams
Bulb

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 07:04:51 AM »

Hmm, good luck. But i was going to do the same thing..... and have already started to do so.
Ultros
Bean

NetMonster_Maniac@hotmail.com UltrosCMC ultroscmc
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 09:37:59 AM »

IVAN is a rather wacky roguelike with such features as being able to vomit on command, and having the gods replace severed limbs with new ones made of materials ranging from banana flesh to diamond.

LetterHunt is a cross between a roguelike and a word game; you play for score, and get points by killing monsters in order such that they spell words.

Shiren the Wanderer is the second game in Chunsoft's long-running Mystery Dungeon series of roguelikes; Chocobo Dungeon and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon are later titles.  This one doesn't have any licensed characters like most of the others.  It uses an interesting mechanic where, while the main game has permadeath, you can accomplish things that makes future plays easier (such as sending an item to the starting village's warehouse so you can use it in your next game).  The link is to a translation patch that can be used on a Japanese ROM of the original SNES game, though there's also an English version of a DS port that came out a couple years ago (haven't played that one, so can't say if it's better/worse).

Incursion is a roguelike where the focus is on making yourself more powerful by intelligently building your character, rather than finding awesome gear (though finding awesome gear certainly helps).  It's fairly complicated, even as roguelikes go, though less so if you're familiar with the d20 roleplaying system that it's based on.  It also has the most fun rogue class I've ever seen in a roguelike.

---

Of the ones on your list, I've played and enjoyed CastlevaniaRL, DoomRL, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, Ragnarok (which was actually my first roguelike, before I even knew the term 'roguelike').  I've also played TileRogue, which I didn't find particularly fun compared to others, but is still worth trying because it's a port of the original Rogue, and it's good to see the game that started the whole subgenre.

Elona (because it's basically ADoM with graphics)
I never found it to be like that.  It is very grindy, though, especially with the lack of permadeath.  However, it's absolutely hilarious while you're learning to play it, and I can recommend playing it up until you know how.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 03:23:43 PM by Ultros » Logged
q0099
Mosskid

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 10:32:24 AM »

AliensRL
Roguelike RPG based on Aliens movie. It has everything we like the movie for: aliens, wiped-out colonies, space marines, and of course M41-A PR.
This is, basically, a tactical game, since there isn't much ammo and a lot of aliens, so player should think before every shoot and every closed door.
And yeah, game author should release new version with tons of new features in a few days.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 01:07:18 PM by q0099 » Logged

Take the time to make some sense of what you want to say and cast your words away upon the waves.
Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 02:49:16 PM »

I also couldn't do crap in Aliens, video for that would be close to a full minute. Though I did look up a bunch of other stuff today and think I'll add Tower to the list, it's a lot like Nethack but in a 3D fancy environment. I'll check out the ones Ultros suggested too. (By the way, Shiren the Wanderer is coming to PS3 now also Shocked) I may do Elona afterall since I remember seeing a video of someone asking why there aren't any. Though that was from years ago, there still aren't. And Liams, I thought you were just doing Powder? I already mentioned this in your Nethack thread remember?

Ultros
Bean

NetMonster_Maniac@hotmail.com UltrosCMC ultroscmc
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 03:22:26 PM »

Hadn't heard of that Shiren port.  Maybe it's the thirds Shiren game?  I'm only familiar with the first, but there's two others.  According to Wikipedia, the third one is on the Wii, with an easier PSP version in the works.
liams
Bulb

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 02:50:19 AM »

No, i was going to make a thread like this where people suggest me rougelikes and i have a list like yours and have lets plays of numerous games. i was going to do it today.
Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 02:30:06 PM »

Hadn't heard of that Shiren port.  Maybe it's the thirds Shiren game?  I'm only familiar with the first, but there's two others.  According to Wikipedia, the third one is on the Wii, with an easier PSP version in the works.
I hadn't heard of it until an Atlus e-mail, but you're right, it was for Wii and not PS3. sorry Embarrassed

site for those interested

No, i was going to make a thread like this where people suggest me rougelikes and i have a list like yours and have lets plays of numerous games. i was going to do it today.
Well like I said above, these are not to be Let's Play videos, rather made to show games people might not know about. My plan is to simply make a video for each game with download links (if applicable) and get some interest going for Roguelike games in general. If I was to do LP's of all these games, I would be busy for many decades to come.

liams
Bulb

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 02:48:26 PM »

Im going to do lets plays, and when im finished with the ones i have i will either find new ones or play the most popular one again.
kinnik
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 01:34:13 AM »

Tales of middle earth (TOME)

rougelike with a really big world and multiple dungons / citys.

or..

Unreal world

Rougelike with graphics set in 1700 sweden.  It's a survival game that you hunt/fish/forage, build, fight and adventure across a huge random world.

Cool
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: